Appendix R was written as an addition to Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 50.48, and it details the requirements to be able to perform safe shutdown in the event of a fire and to mitigate release of radiation to the public. ARS works closely with power plants to find cost-effective solutions to meeting those regulations.
The engineers and operators at ARS are well-versed in the codes and regulations set forth in Appendix R and can help plants modify outdated designs and procedures in order to be in compliance with Nuclear Regulatory Guidelines.
In accordance with the Appendix R to Part 50, ARS identifies and evaluates the following:
- Fire Protection Program, including defense in depth fire protection
- Fire Hazards Analysis
- Fire Prevention Features
- Safe Shutdown Capability
- Fire Brigade Training and Practice
- Emergency Lighting and Administrative Controls
- Fire Strategies
- Alternative and Dedicated Shutdown Capability
- Fire Barrier Cable Penetration Seal Qualification and Fire Doors
- Oil Collection System for Reactor Coolant Pump
In addition, ARS engineers will recommend any other modifications or general design requirements to meet the prescriptive requirements of Appendix R.